Travelling with the Guitar

I've been called a groupie, a roadie, a coolie... but all I really am is wife to my guitar-playing husband who travels some. I get to tag along, to take me away from the monotony of obsessive house cleaning. Here, I log our adventures with food, airlines, hotels, food, organisers, fans, food, people, books I read. Did I say 'food' already? Well, someone's got to tell people what life's like on the road, right?

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

August 18, 2006 - Yamaha L-series promo and workshop
You're wondering - what's happened to the 17th? Did she forget? No, la. But I was too tired to tag along to the Melawati workshop and had opted to sleep in at the hotel instead.

Today, we're in Penang. I really like Penang. I like Penang for its food, for its old shoplots, for the giant trees and while locals bitch about how dirty Penang is, I'm afraid I don't see it. Maybe it's because I'm from Sabah (eeks!) but I'm told (by Penangnites) that Penang is dirtier than KK any day. OK, la, Penang win, la but no, I don't see the trash. I don't see rats. I see glorious food, I see the culture, I see the delightful trishaws that Roger refuses to get on. So touristy, he said. We tourist, mah! I'd protest.

Anyway, the workshop sees pretty good attendance. And five minutes into the workshop, it hits me. This is the first time I'm sitting in on a workshop my husband's conducted. How strange! We've known each other for three years now and I often hear about his workshops but I've never sat in. And I must say, Roger's a good trainer. His workshops are very informative and I'm not lying here just because we're married, but I learnt a lot from his workshops. And while I still am not musically-inclined, I can almost tell you how to work a guitar.
ANYONE remotely interested in playing the guitar; either acoustic, classic or electric, must not miss Roger's workshops if he's giving one in a town / city near you! Really. The chap's willing the share it with you and I say, if it's free, all the better!

Post-workshop, Penang's Yamaha dealers, our new friends, bring us out for dinner. And in Penang, it's never dinner at just one place nor it is never just one dish (typically, we'd order several dishes and everyone picks from various plates. I know some people who are squirmish about that. Your loss! I say). We eat seafood in one restaurant, Bali Hai, and proceed down to Gurney Drive's newly-renovated stalls for dessert. I was so full (from dinner), I wanted to cry. Food in Penang is THAT good! Just thinking about food in Penang makes me hungry now. See shells there on the right, from Bali Hai? I don't know what it's called but they were nice!