Travelling with the Guitar

I've been called a groupie, a roadie, a coolie... but all I really am is wife to my guitar-playing husband who travels some. I get to tag along, to take me away from the monotony of obsessive house cleaning. Here, I log our adventures with food, airlines, hotels, food, organisers, fans, food, people, books I read. Did I say 'food' already? Well, someone's got to tell people what life's like on the road, right?

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Wrapping Up Equatorial Hotel's Summer Jazz Series II gig
The gig starts at about 9:45pm every evening from July 26 -29 and ends about 12:30am or 1:30am. And every single night, without fail, Donald Lim and Chris Moore (of Equatorial Hotel) are there with friends or family, watching the show. Even *I* didn't watch the show every night. What? Got headache, what.

Anyway, kudos to Equatorial for taking real good care of me and Roger. From airport pickup to laundry, from meals to WiFi access, they're all hugely appreciated. Always a pleasure.

For all those who came to the shows, I think you've made Roger really happy. He's a natural showman, he enjoys the stage and he enjoys performing for a good audience. Most of all, he really enjoys playing his guitar. Thanks for your support.

Gawd, isn't this starting to sound like an Oscar speech?! Sorry.

We met lots of our friends when we came back to KL this time. Always a pleasure. Among them were Ahmad Azrai (who's better known to us as 'Roy') who works at The Malay Mail and Brian Kwan from alldatjazz.com.

Now, before you see this picture, I've got to explain it to you. Roy (whom we've earlier established, works at The Malay Mail) recently wrote about spam. No, not of the non-halal edible variety. Email spam. He looked through all the spam subjects and wrote full page article about it. Accompanying the article was a full-page, full-colour picture of his face, superimposed on a computer monitor on top of a desk. He's holding up a sign that reads, "Big Sale" and he's holding his thumb up. Also in that picture is a woman sitting at the desk, with her face turned away from the monitor, in utter distaste. It's the kind of face I'd have if I had stepped on crap.

Roy shows us the newspaper clipping during lunch with me, Roger and Brian. I find his face in the picture really funny, I asked him to "do it again". He complies. I break into shrieks of laughter because it's so funny. Minutes later, I'm thinking, I really NEED to take a picture of that. It's worth a million (laughs), I tell you.

So I asked the boys to pose, right there, in front of the first floor escalators at KLCC. Brian's mortified, "We look like bloody tourists!" but Roy already posing - happily. I snapped this picture in less than a second.


Miraculously, Roy manages to look even "goofier" here than in the picture taken for the newspapers!