Travelling with the Guitar

I've been called a groupie, a roadie, a coolie... but all I really am is wife to my guitar-playing husband who travels some. I get to tag along, to take me away from the monotony of obsessive house cleaning. Here, I log our adventures with food, airlines, hotels, food, organisers, fans, food, people, books I read. Did I say 'food' already? Well, someone's got to tell people what life's like on the road, right?

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Day Three - July 28
When Roger jams with a guitarist he can particularly relate with, the effect is powerful. I've seen it happen a few times and this was one of them.

I don't play any musical instruments (you won't believe how many people have asked me that since I got married!) And no, I don't even sing. To be more precise, I won't sing - for the sanity of all those within earshot.

But when I see Roger hit it off with another guitarist, my heart soars and I feel exactly like how I imagine he's feeling.... totally lost in the music. When there's right chemistry between two guitarists onstage, the effect is simply electrifying! It gives me goosebumps.

Tonight was a night just like that. The energy both Roger and Jamie Wilson (whom he's never met prior to the show, by the way, not even for a practice run) produced that night with just their humble six-stringed instrument vibrated off the walls and got me right in the thumper. It was truly exciting.

The audience refused to let Jamie Wilson offstage that night. He was supposed to play three songs during the second set but the audience made sure he didn't leave the stage till the end of the night. The second set lasted a record hour and half (usually, it's 45 minutes). Roger's fingers hurt - hurt good - that night.

It was wild! It was insane. It was so goooooooooood.....

Equatorial Hotel, KL, General Manager Donald Lim dubs Roger, Mia and Jamie, "Triple Take".

You missed it? Ouch.