Travelling with the Guitar

I've been called a groupie, a roadie, a coolie... but all I really am is wife to my guitar-playing husband who travels some. I get to tag along, to take me away from the monotony of obsessive house cleaning. Here, I log our adventures with food, airlines, hotels, food, organisers, fans, food, people, books I read. Did I say 'food' already? Well, someone's got to tell people what life's like on the road, right?

Friday, July 14, 2006

April 29, 2006 - Day Seven
Today, we were going to go back south to Taichung but before setting off, we had time to squeeze in a too-short visit to the famous Chiang Kai-Shek Memorial Hall in Taipei. It's also the site of the National Theatre and National Concert Hall but we didn't have time to see them. Pity. If we ever head back to Taipei, I would like more time in this hall. So much to see, so little time. Though I DID have time to buy souvenirs. Typical Malaysian tourist.

The boys were performing in Taichung Community Hall today and it was their last public concert. Right after the concert, we drove all the way back south to Tainan for the night.

Enroute, we stopped at the popular Ching Sheui Service Area / Rest Area. This started as a rest stop for tired drivers and passengers, offering coffee-and-toilet break. But the Taiwanese are so intrigued by this beautiful seaside spot, they've turned it into a holiday destination, where families and courting couples come for a quick getaway from the city. We hear the sunset's gorgeous from this spot. All this area offers is food, toilets and a small arcade area. And so many people flock into this place. I mean, it's so popular, it's hard to find a parking space! And this place has a LOT of parking spaces. LOTS. We had to wait for a parking spot. Huang said it's worst on weekends.

Amazing.

I was especially tickled by a signage in the ladies' restroom. So tickled, I ran out and got the camera from Mr. X, ran back in, took a very quick shot of the signage and ran back out real fast. In case people thought I was up to something quite sick.

The sign reads: The service area is free to provide a toilet paper. Please economize dosage.